Jakarta – A survey conducted by Saiful Mujani Research and Consulting (SMRC) shows that Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama is at the top of the Jakarta government candidates list for 2017 gubernatorial election on Tuesday, October 14. The survey was conducted in late August 2015 to 631 respondents.
- “We conducted the survey because candidates, particularly Ahok, have shown their commitment to the 2017 gubernatorial election,” SMRC executive director Djayadi Hanan at Sari Pan Pacific Hotel in Jakarta.
- The survey was conducted without providing respondents with a list of names but by asking spontaneous questions about who would they choose as the Jakarta Governor for the period of 2017-2022. Ahok was the favorite candidate with 23.5 percent supports above Ridwan Kamil and Fauzi Bowo.
- The SMRC also highlighted that the positive evaluation on Ahok’s performance had been the main factor of his dominance. A majority of the respondents stated their satisfaction on Ahok’s performance.
- Eva Sundari, a politician from the Indonesian Democratic of Struggle, said that public’s perspective on a political figure would be influenced by a situation and information. Therefore, Eva concluded that the survey results could not reflect the real situation in a long run.
- “The influence of social media could turn public’s choices,” Eva said who attended the survey presentation as a speaker.
- In the survey, several popular names, such as Tri Rismaharini, Tantowi Yahya and Abraham “Lulung” Lunggana were also featured as strong candidate for the 2017 Jakarta gubernatorial election.
Source : m.tempo.co